Sail racing is back!
The RMYC management, Sailing Division, Multihull Division and Top Hat Sailing Division committees are pleased to announce that on Thursday 21st May, Australian Sailing hosted a webinar with NSW affiliated clubs to announce the return of competitive sailing from Friday 5th June 2020.
Get in, sail, get out policy.
Friday Twilights will be returning with non-pointscore racing on the 12th, 19th and 26th June 2020. Please register your intention to race with the RMYC Sailing Office.
All going well on 3rd July 2020 we will kick off the 2020/2021 season with the first race of the Friday Twilight Winter Series – a return to pointscore racing. There will be no after race presentation and results will be published online.
At this stage, the Multihull weekly Saturday pointscore racing will recommence on Saturday 13th June 2020 in line with their 2020/2021 calendar. There will be no after race presentation and results will be published online.
Top Sailing Division:
The Top Hat Sailing program will recommence their monthly pointscore racing from Saturday 13th June 2020.
The 2020 safety audit dates have been rescheduled to August. Dates to be advised.
'You're the skipper, you're responsible'
- As per the RRS4, the responsibility for a boats decision to participate in a race is hers alone. As the skipper you are responsible. Below are the guidelines that should be followed but are no guarantee to your safety nor the safety of your crew.
- Skippers will need to complete an online COVID safe training session before participating in their first race. The link will be sent after they have registered their intention to race with the RMYC Sailing Office.
- Skippers will also be required to log a list of everyone onboard each race via email or SMS to the Sailing Office for the purpose of contact tracing. This will need to be done at least an hour before the start of the race. No contact list, no racing.
Minimise the risk of Spread
- Get in, sail, get out policy. Avoid use of communal areas.
- Community sport members and individuals should not return to sailing if in the last 14 days they have been unwell or had close contact with a known or suspected case of COVID-19.
- In an environment of community transmission of COVID-19, any individual with respiratory symptoms (cough, sore throat, fever, or shortness of breath), even if mild, should be considered a possible case of COVID-19.
- We encourage anyone who shows symptoms of COVID-19 to stay home and seek medical advice. It is important to call ahead first – call your GP or call the National Coronavirus Information and Triage Line on 1800 020 080.
Abandonment of Races – Unsuitable conditions for Social Distancing
- A race may be cancelled due to conditions which are unsuitable for racing with a limited amount of crew onboard, to ensure all boats comply with social distancing rules.
- SI 18.1 - The Race Officer may postpone or abandon a race at their absolute discretion
- RRS 4 – the responsibility for a boats decision to participate in a race or to continue racing is hers alone.
Social distancing and social gathering rules apply.
- No common areas, no shared meals, no gatherings of more than 10 before and after the race.
- No after race presentations. Results will be published online.
- Per Boat: Max 10 people. 1.5m social distancing maintained where practical.
Crews should minimise physical contact & no sharing of equipment
- No shaking hands, no sharing drink bottles, clothing, food and towels, etc.
- 5m distancing to be maintained where practical.
- Each crew member should be tasked to a specific role or position to avoid sharing of equipment.
- If sharing of equipment required, an appropriate cleaning protocol should take place.
Regular handwashing and sanitising
- Skippers must encourage a high level of hygiene. Regular and thorough hand washing is encouraged. Surfaces and objects to be regularly cleaned with soap and water or alcohol-based disinfectant.
- Contactless hand sanitiser units are available for use at various points on the RMYC marina.
We encourage skippers and crew to download the COVIDsafe app
- To help stop the spread.
Further information can also be found on Australian Sailing’s website here.
Thank you to Australian Sailing, whom with the support of Sydney yacht clubs have delivered this great result.
To register your participation in the Friday Twilight non-pointscore series (June only), please email the Sailing Office firstname.lastname@example.org
Protest Convening Guidelines